Thursday, September 24, 2009

I just found out that I girl I knew in high school, same age as me 25, just had her second child. Holy moly. (and thank you Facebook). A guy I knew who was a year ahead of me congratulated her; his profile picture is with his newborn son. Scary scary.

The Toulouse job fair was a bit of a bust: there were mostly bank and insurance companies looking to hire sales reps. If there's one thing I'm not capable of doing, it's pushing a product, especially if I don't really believe in it.

My carte de séjour ends at the end of October, so I stopped by the Préfecture to get the form and list of papers to bring. I was confused when I arrived at 11:30 because there was no one in line. In the year since I've been there, they finally decided to create an appointment system. Before it was first come first serve, and since the cds service was only open 9-12 four days a week, you had to arrive well before the doors opened. For us last year it was raining of course so we waited 40 minutes outside under our umbrellas.

And lastly, I checked out a Abcdaire des Rois de France from the library last week. It's a neat little book that lists alphabetically the kings and other related terms (cours, fronde, sacre, dauphin...). The front and back inside covers show the genealogy of the kings, which helps to understand how everyone was related. It's a thin book, so of course 2 pages on Louis XIV doesn't explain everything, but it was an easy way to fill in the gaps in my knowledge of French history. I'd link to the book, (published by Flammarion) but I think it's out of print.

No comments: