Monday, September 14, 2009

Bittersweet victory

I got all my results yesterday from the university and I passed my Master! I even got a mention (honors) assez bien, which means my gpa was a little above average. I'll get my diploma the beginning of October I think.

I'm happy all my hard work paid off. I'm happy I have a French degree.

But it's far from really over. I re-registered for unemployment yesterday and I've been sending out job applications for the past two weeks. I know it's too soon to really expect any responses and that I have to keep 'planting seeds' for a while yet until I'll get anything in return.

But being unemployed still sucks. I thought it'd be somehow easier this time around. I'd have it down better.

It's still as hard as ever to work on job applications every day. I could take a break and do the dishes or fold laundry....like I did yesterday and the day before and the day before that... or go post the flyers for English tutoring/translating I made. I'm rather bitter about that as well. I just finished my Masters and here I am still trying to make a little bit of money tutoring....

I know it's temporary, that I won't tutor forever, that I'll find a job eventually, that we'll be able to afford more than just rent and groceries one day. In the meantime we can't buy my mom a birthday gift, tickets to visit our friend and her baby in Brussels, or go out to a restaurant. One day, one day.

But knowing in your head that things will get better is different than feeling it in your heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! go girl! Look how much you've acheived! I'm unemployed too, without French degree, so you could be in a worse position - ie, mine!

Finishing studies is hard too - the big chill after the storm is always hard to deal with. You will find a job! You will! and when you do, can you put a good word in for me?! x

Ksam said...

Woooo!!! Congratulations!!!

BlondeInFrance said...

Wow! Must feel so great to be done!

I totally understand the frustration with situations you know will change, but not soon enough! I am having a hard time getting used to me and Ben both being students, knowing that hopefully this time next year he'll have a job and we can actually go places and do fun stuff instead of studying and saving all the time.
Bon courage!