Monday, September 21, 2009

Fall is here

Fall sets fire
to the tips of trees
and fans the flames
with an icy breeze

- John Frank

I took out the storage bin that hides under our bed and my extra suitcase in the bottom of my closet yesterday afternoon and began the task of changing seasons. Light cotton dresses and sleeveless tops made way for heavier skirts and sweaters.

And what a task to organize my wardrobe. I realized that the shelves for my sweaters were dirty, so I had to clean that. And then I discovered lots of dust bunnies when I dug out my suitcase, so I had to clean that. I wore my black boots for the first time of the season on Saturday and they definitely need to be polished. Several of my summer clothes need to be washed before I can store them, and I discovered that at least one winter top got put away dirty (make-up around the collar). I put on a light coat and scarf this weekend and they smelled stale, just like the back of the closet where they'd been stuffed since April.

After at least 2 hours of work, I pushed what was left into a pile and declared a break. I think I have the courage to work on it again this evening.

Unfortunately I still have a large pile of clothes (some from my friend who returned to Brazil, some from me) waiting to be sold at the dépot-vente or given to Emmaüs. One bag has already been delivered to Emmaüs. I'll feel better when they aren't lying around anymore.

Changing out my clothes I realized how many more winter/cold weather clothes I have now. When I first went to college in Massachusetts, I had lots and lots of summer clothes and some fall/spring clothes. Things have been slowly evolving since, and now my wardrobe is tipped towards cooler temperatures. In the fall of 2007 when I had to stay 3 months in the States to get my new visa I ended up having to buy more clothes, and I realized my wardrobe had evolved into brown/taupe as well. I used to wear a lot more navy blue and black and white.

It's funny out things change like that. I have shoes I hardly ever wear anymore because I bought them before I took public transportation and walked everywhere. At the very end of high school I bought a bunch of make-up, including a lipstick I loved and a second tube (in case they had discontinued the color when I finished the first). I still have both of them but I never wear it because slightly frosted pink just isn't me anymore. The other day I thought I'd try some other lipsticks that I don't use much anymore. And I realized why!

At least my love of sandals hasn't changed. The change of season is welcome and I'm glad it's fall, but the blisters I've gotten from wearing closed shoes for the first time in months are a real pain.

No comments: