Friday, July 11, 2008

Well, my decision is made.

I sent an email to the company to turn down the position. I'm going to do the masters instead.

As someone in AVF said, the job is a short term solution, and the masters is a long term solution. I already spent a year looking for a job and my lack of diploma from a French university was a huge problem.

As much as I would have enjoyed the job, and the money would have been nice, I feel like it would have been a year "lost". I've already spent time teaching English which I won't want to (or can't) put on my resumé. The French don't believe you can apply skills learned in one field of work to another, so I don't think the administrative position would have helped me much looking for work in communication later. The job wasn't on the right path.

I couldn't postpone the master either. I would have had to re-apply, which would have been familiar but also a hassle, and there's no guarantee that I would be readmitted next year.

I'll do the master, tutor a little on the side, we'll continue to be kind of poor for another year, I'll do my internship, and then hopefully this time next year I'll have my diploma and a "real" job (as in a CDI in communications).

1 comment:

Emily Marie said...

I know this is kind of late to comment but I've been enjoying reading some of your old posts. I feel the same way about the masters...every job I find is looking for someone with Bac+5 and I just feel under-qualified. I waited too long to apply for this fall but I'm definately planning on applying for la rentrée 2009. Let me know how your first semester goes!