Thursday, July 10, 2008

On my mind

I'm still trying to decide between the job offer and going back to school.

The job is an administrative position, but I would travel to conferences in England, Sophia Antipolis (the French silicon valley), and possibly Japan to take notes, deal with files and presentations, and other secretarial tasks related to the professional organizations the company belongs to. They need someone who speaks English and can multi-task. The job seems interesting, the travel is appealing, and I think it would give me good experience working in France and something to put on my resumé. Plus I'd finally earn some real money. We could finally put something into our savings account.

That said, it's a maternity replacement, so not a permanent position. People have reminded me that you never know with maternity leave; the woman may decide to prolong it, or might not come back. Or she could come back as planned, and I could be unemployed again (if I can't find a job this fall that starts in February).

Then there's the masters in Communication. It's actually a Master 2, so the second year, which means I'd only have one year of school. The first semester is class, and the second is an internship. If I got my Masters now, I'd have it out of the way, not hanging over my head, and it would validate my American degree. Instead of having to explain that my Bachelors degree and what I studied every time someone asks, I could just say I have a masters from the university of Toulouse. Communications is what I'd like to work in as well, and the masters would finally let me apply to jobs in that field.

I don't know if I can postpone my entry (my guess is no, I'd have to re-apply) for fall 2009 if I decide to take the job.

On the one hand, I applied for the administrative job as a "between" job- just something I could do until I got a masters and could really start a career. If I follow that logic, I should do the masters.

But the job isn't just a crappy secretarial answer-the-phone, sort-mail, kind of position. I think I'd learn a lot and I'd have the most responsibilities I've ever had for a job. And the masters will be there next year (provided I get accepted again or can postpone my entry).

*Sigh* Time to relax with some ice cream and an X-Files episode before I have to go out again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I think you should take the job, it sounds like a great opportunity and I'm sure you'll be able to pick up your masters again next year. It even sounds like the kind of company where there may be opportunities to rise up or move around in, it sounds like it would be worth it, just to get your foot in the door with some experience in a French company. And the travel would be great!

Anonymous said...

Also, I'm not sure if this works in France but in Australia once you are accepted to university you can defer it for one year..a lot of people do that so they don't have to re-apply. So they get in then defer and come back the next year and don't have to do the fuss of re-applying. Maybe you should find out if this is an option?

BlondeInFrance said...

I totally agree, I think the job is such a good opportunity, and even if you have to reapply for the masters, is there really a strong chance you wouldn't get accepted again? I think if you got in once, you'll get in again. You'd save up money so during the masters maybe you wouldn't have to work as much or at all. And the travel would be so incredibly cool!!