In my old Préfecture, the was only one entrance and one hallway. First Carte Grise, then a different window, and further down through the glass door was the Service Etrangers. There was never more than 2 people a head of me. The fonctionnaires remembered me: "You were in here just the other day, right?" They laughed at B's jokes. Everyone was so nice! And it was so small....
I've been procrastinating changing my carte de séjour. Since I changed departements, they have to make me a new plastic card and I waited so long to have the first one that I didn't want to hand it back so soon. But we technically moved in January and this is almost April, so I should get a move on it.
I spent a good half and hour on the website trying to find out what the hours were for the service. Unable to find that, or a list of what documents were necessary, I figured I'd go over this morning, find out what I needed to do the change of address and new cds, and come home.
The only good news is that I found out the hours they're open.
First I stood in the wrong line since there weren't any clear indications as to which window dealt with what kind of foreigners. I overheard someone say his medical visit was at 10:30am when he was finally called at noon. I was redirected to another line twice as long as the first one I'd stood in, so I figured I'd ask people in line if any of them were changing their address and what papers they'd brought. People just looked at me like I was crazy and shook their head.
I went and asked at the Information Desk in a moment of weakness. I mean, we all know that the people at the Information Desk have no idea and can never help you.
I saw the driver's license department was right next to the new line, so I waited to speak with a women who told me I had to take a number and finally spoke with a woman who said that I couldn't convert my California driver's license into a French one and that I should go to a driving school goodbye. Seriously, she was like "Um, let me see....No, California is not on the list, go sign up at a driving school to get a French license, thank you very much."
I then craned my neck around people in line to see if there was a list by the window of the papers I needed. I saw that all the info was behind the counter and that I'd need to talk with someone. I didn't have any proof of residence or photos or anything with me, so I decided to ask the next person in line if I could ask what I needed (not to go through the paperwork). "No. No, no. I'm just going to ask a little question too. I've waited, all these people have waited in line. No" she said with a look the expressed her disgust.
There goes the solidarité between fellow immigrants.
I left with the news that I'd probably have to spend several hundred euros at a driving school in order to get a French driver's license, and still clueless as to what documents were needed for my address change. I did finally find some answers on Yahoo France when I got home, but I'd already decided I hated the Prefecture.
Luckily I found some apricot-raspberry jam at Carrefour when B and I went grocery shopping this afternoon. Nothing like some good jam on brioche (but I'm not going to forget my crappy morning at the Prefecture any time soon).
3 comments:
Yep, it's a bummer, California isn't one of the 14 states that allows exchanges. I could've saved you the wait and told you that! If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't able to exchange either. On the positive side though, since you already have a license, you don't need to do the 20 heures de conduite obligatoire - and a ~35€ a pop, that's where the majority of the cost comes from. It cost me almost exactly 300€ to get my license - which is a lot, but still a lot better than the 1200€ + it costs the average French person.
And it's probably not the same, but I only had to show my lease and either a FT or EDF bill to do my address change. I didn't even need a new card, they just stuck a sticker on the back over my old address. But I didn't change departments, so I guess you're right, and you probably will need to get a whole new card. :-(
Thanks for the tip. Did you have to rent a car with "double controls" for the driving test? I've read that you have to have a double control car for the driving test, so if you're an independent candidate, you rent if for the day (?). I'll keep driving like I have been for now (illegally, I guess).
I really wouldn't recommend going the candidate libre route - the written test is frickin' HARD. A lot of people fail it their first try, after months of doing practice tests. So for me, it was totally worth it to pay the 300€ to the auto-école (half of which was fees for the two exams). Not to mention the fact that there is a huge shortage of instructors all across France and auto-écoles have priority when it comes to testing, so you would probably get in earlier. Seriously, just sign up with a school - they'll take care of all your paperwork, you can do as many practice tests as you want, and you'll have their car to use the day of the exam.
Post a Comment