Thursday, March 6, 2008

How did they know??

B had a slip from the post man in the mailbox the other day saying that he'd been unable to deliver a package. Since B had to work, I went and picked it up at the post office yesterday.

We got a satchel full of welcome materials from City Hall!

But how did they know we just moved here, and why did it come addressed to B, and not to me, or to both of us??? It's kind of like the mystery of the letter from Renault welcoming us to Toulouse and urging us to visit their dealership.

We got a free "City Pass" that gets us discounts to a number of things around town, plus a key chain, a pen, plus a whole bunch of brochures and two magazines. I was going to criticize Toulouse for not making information available to new residents, but I can't now. Well, I can still criticize the lack of information on how to reserve a municipal tennis court.

Tonight I'm trying out the "Jeunes Actifs" group of AVF. It's potluck the first Thursday of every month, so I'm taking a bottle of wine we've had collecting dust for a month. B and I don't drink at dinner because it's only the two of us, and it's cheaper to drink water or juice. I'm hoping this group will be nice because I really need to get out and meet people. I've been busy recently, but going to appointments and running errands isn't the same as meeting up and chatting with people.

I think I'll read up on all the advantages of my City Pass now. Maybe I'll actually visit a local museum now that I have a discount!

No comments: