Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter weekend, aka, the matching debate

B and I almost didn't make it to his parents' place Friday night beause the wind blew down some electric cables at the train station in Bèziers. Toulouse had little trash tornados in the afternoon when the wind caught up litter in the gutters. We had to wait more than an hour in the Narbonne train station while they fixed it and got the trains running again. Fortunately we arrived "only" an hour and 45 minutes late.

We've been very busy petting the dog and cat here and surfing the net (and calling the States) and generally relaxing. Tomorrow is Easter with the grandparents, which means eating until you have to undo the button on your pants, and Monday we'll take the train back home.

Not far from the house here there's a factory outlet for a company that makes underwear and pyjamas and socks and the like. You can get things cheaper than regular stores and B's mom asked if I wanted to go shopping this afternoon. I felt a little weird accepting to go shopping for bras and underwear with my MIL, but she said she wanted to buy me a little something for Easter and I could help pick out some pyjamas for B.

I fully admit that I am very practical when it comes to undergarments. I look for comfort and colors and designs that won't be seen under my clothing and will be comfortable all day. And I've never purchased a matching set. You can imagine then that it was a little strange to follow my MIL's suggestions "Oh, that bra is really cute. And there's the boy-cut brief to go with or the thong! Plus, this one has the matching babydoll." I chose a discrete peach "caraco" (camisole) that I can wear under anything and then a matching set bra-thong-slip/camisole. I feel dumb, but I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do with the slip. It billows out and would be lumpy under clothing, but it only comes to my waist and is not really a babydoll either or lingerie. The salesgirl said it's meant to be worn over a bra, so I'm really at a loss. MIL made some reference to how I could try out the ensemble tonight, which I glossed over. At least I helped pick out two pairs of pyjamas for B in the whole affair and it made for an outing.

I started thinking about whether wearing matching bras and panties was French or American, but I have no idea what my American friends do. My mom buys underwear and socks in bags or tubes (4 or $15!), but she is by no means a representitive sample of the population. She's never ever dyed her hair (or highlights, not even as a teenager), if that gives you an idea. So maybe there are lots of American women who coordonate their unmentionables. Department stores usually segregate bras and panties though, unless you're in Victoria's Secret, and I don't remember lots of matching sets. It's one of those areas where you have your habits, your way of doing things, and since it doesn't really come up in conversations, it's easy to assume that most people do the same things as you. But maybe not? French, American, or simply a matter of taste or style? I'll accept any suggestions.

No comments: