One of the funny consequences of working all day long on a nice new huge Mac is that when I get home and turn on my laptop, I suddenly realize that it's small! I never thought the screen was small before, but I've gotten really used to using my big Mac at work all day long.
Now having worked two and a half weeks, I've learned a certain amount of gossip concerning my company and co-workers. My particular little office is 10 women and 1 man (and he's often traveling) and we all get along well, so it's been fun to chat during lunch break.
The staircase I mentioned that was falling apart has been renovated all this week, so we've had to navigate around ladders and buckets as the workmen scrapped off all the old peeling wall paper and put new paper up. There was also lots of sanding of the walls. And then today I learned that after they guys se sont fait chier to put up wallpaper under all the extending pipes and wires, they're going to paint it. Why they didn't just paint the walls in the first place I'll never know. Only in France, only in France. And one of my colleagues said the workman told her he was painting it gray or black "pour rester lugubre" (to stay gloomy).
I've also been dealing with having to write in British English. While changing my spelling is not that difficult, it's been hard to write for French colleagues who tell me they're so happy I got hired because I bring fresh ideas and new ways of writing things, but then as soon as I write something start asking if non-natives are going to understand it. They practically want me to write like it was a ESL class, except that I'm supposed to be writing for an international event. I will say though that I still think it's wrong to put the date before the month, but apparently it's BE and all that...
Oh, and I had to call India but I didn't have the right number. "In the name of God, the number you have dialed is not part of the network." Seriously, that was the message.
No comments:
Post a Comment