Besides taking a really nice nap after finishing off our left-over raclette ingredients, I went through my 87 unread email messages today (okay, a lot were from Facebook). I also got to eat left-over birthday cake for breakfast, which is just wonderful.
I'm still getting used to my new schedule and reading emails in the evening when I get home has just kind of fallen off the priority list. I feel bad, because I've criticized a lot a friend who practically never responds to email and goes on Facebook once a month. She says that after spending the day working on a computer, she doesn't feel like going online when she gets home. I used to think that was BS and that she should just get her act together to keep in touch with friends. But I admit that more often than I would have predicted I just don't feel like going online when I get home. At least I can say that I make an effort to go to various meetings/rehearsals/happy hours after work and on the weekends. My friend has fallen into the work-all-week stay-at-home-all-weekend routine. When I call, her only news are what her family is doing and the dog. I just think if you let yourself get into that routine, you'll wake up 5 years later and not know where your life went.
My next post should be a book review of "The Sharper your knife, the less you cry" by Kathleen Flinn.
In the meantime, I'll give a plug for the French Paper, which I'd heard about but never really read until recently. There still are a few too many Brit references ("I'm a pensioner. What's the best way to transfer my pounds?" or "French taxes for Brits") but it's much better than I expected. If you want to read about current events but not bother with Le Monde or any other French newspaper, it's a good place to start. It's a monthly paper and the February issue is out now. 2€50 at well stocked news kiosks (I found mine at Carrefour).
1 comment:
I can't find The French Paper in my local newsagents here in Lyon but I got a copy from the train station and found it of good quality. As a Brit I can't say the Brit references stood out for me. It would be a shame for them to alienate potential readers.
Post a Comment