Sunday, January 10, 2010

As with so many things, never a dull moment

Last Wednesday I had my first day of work, which was alright, although I was slightly lost and didn't feel like I was doing much work.

We went to band rehearsal and discovered it was the annual board meeting, so instead of playing we chatted with people and then learned about next year's budget.

Thursday I did more tasks as work, but the bizutage (hazing/integration) cooking class where I was going to cook for everyone got canceled since everyone had too much work. Apparently I'll cook for everyone in March when the work schedule has calmed down.

Thursday evening while cooking dinner I started having stomach pains/cramps, which I figured was just because I was really hungry and not yet used to my work schedule and lack of 4pm snack. They kept getting worse though, even after I ate, and they hurt so much I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep, so at midnight we finally went to the emergency room at the clinic where B works. They set me up on an anti-spasm drip and then anti-nausea medication and we hung out till about 2am. The anti-spasm medication held out till about 4am, when the pain came back, so I didn't sleep much and called/emailed my job in the morning to say I couldn't come it. The doctor at the emergency room gave me an arrêt de travail and said I probably had one of three conditions: food poisoning, the stomach flu (gastro), or colitis which could be related to the stress of starting a new job.

In any case, I spent all day Friday in bed, a good portion of Saturday, and a bit of Sunday, though I did get out to see some friends Saturday night and Sunday morning.

And it also snowed all day Saturday in Toulouse, so I got to wear my after-ski boots and long underwear. A good portion of it has melted, but it was nice to have a little winter weather.

No comments: