Well, it's not exactly the same cut/style, but I got highlights and a layered cut. It'll be okay, but I made the mistake of asking for the styliste to dry it curled under/inward, instead of flipped out. The result is lots of volume with the ends styled inward which creates the Jennifer Aniston look.B got his hair cut about 2 months ago and he mentioned how chatty the woman was, but I barely spoke to my stylist today. A little at the beginning to explain what I wanted, and then she was at work and I read my magazine. I like to blame it on the fact that as a kid I never ever got my hair cut at a salon (my mom just trimmed the ends) and I only started getting my hair cut regularly by professionals in high school. I feel like I missed out on the initiation. I can't say French stylists are less chatty than Americans because of B's experiences, so I guess it's me.
I've never been really interested in small talk though. In France that inevitably leads to talking about how I'm American and explaining what I'm doing in France. Surely I've explained my life story enough times? Well, not enough for the bank, or mutuelle, or auto-école. I really tried to engage in small talk with an American stylist once, and then she asked if I had any brothers or sisters. "One brother, but he commit suicide." Kind of kills the atmosphere, if you know what I mean.
Paying reminded me of another conundrum: should I tip the hair dresser? Tipping is not a part of the service culture like in the States, but they do have a little piggy bank on the counter just for that. A French girl told me she doesn't tip systematically, but might leave a euro or two in the jar/piggy bank. I was going to do that, but realized I only had 3 20 centime pieces. Putting 60¢ in the jar seemed cheap and/or inappropriate, so I just paid with my carte bleue and left. It's a shame you can't add the tip on to your carte bleue total like in the States, but then again that makes the tip into something more obligatory. Maybe I should have chatted about how I was American so I'd have that for an excuse if I didn't leave a tip when I should have....
2 comments:
Knowing you're American might lead to them expecting a big tip though! Last time I got my hair cut it was at Ben's cousin's salon. There were also like, 3 different girls working on my hair. Even in the states this would be an interesting tipping situation. Though other times I will just round up a few euros and not ask for change (40 for a 36 € bill for example)
I'm really sorry that your brother died.
I finally found a hairstylist I like so now I just round it up, it costs 45 so I give him a 5 euro tip. I don't know whether that's not much or not enough but he was super friendly the next time I came to visit so I must have done something right...
Post a Comment