Sunday, January 8, 2012

2012

Last year I made 3 resolutions, and I put them on my bulletin board behind my computer to make sure I would be reminded often.

I think I've done an okay job of keeping them: I read more books this year, have surfed less (though also due to more time spent working), and I've donated/tossed several things (but not of course the teaching supplies...)

One of the things I realized though, is that there were a couple things that happened over the year that ended up being "true" transformations.

First and foremost is using my bike more often. Last spring when we spent a week in Cambridge and only had our friends' bikes to get around, I discovered that it's just a question of mind over matter. It's completely doable to bike every day for work, errands, and seeing friends, and I've realized that my clothes and the weather aren't impediments either. Sure, certain skirts are complicated to bike in, but I either do my best or bring it in my bag to work and change once I arrive. Some shoes are less conducive to pedaling, but I don't need to wear them everyday. And a good rain jacket made especially for biking plus wise wardrobe choice mean riding in the rain and cold aren't that bad.

A year ago I never would have imagined myself such a huge bike enthusiast.

Second, I think I've made some good decisions in the work environment that have nothing to do with work tasks. I don't know if it's the issue of never staying in one job long enough, but I never really became friends with co-workers or stayed in touch with them after a job was over. I also turned down a few important opportunities, such as going out for lunch with my boss, in the past. This year I've done a better job of keeping in touch with former colleagues and recognizing opportunities to be seized.

And third, I started a good balcony garden with carrots, beets, chilies, bell peppers, basil, thym, rosemary and mint after our trip to England. 2011 really became the gardening year.

So, for 2012, I have a few new resolutions:
1. Keep reading, gardening, and biking.
2. Work more with my husband to plan meals for the week and shopping accordingly; we often end up with 'stranded' ingredients purchased by one of us, but then left without the other things needed for the recipe when they were used for a different meal.
3. Dig out the knitting needles and crochet hooks. I finished a project last February and haven't touched my yarn since. Time to try a new project

I wonder what might become the real changes in my life though.
Something work related? A change with friends? Travel? Family? Seeing how much has changed this discouraged post last year, it's hard to imagine where I'll be next January!

1 comment:

BlondeInFrance said...

Seeing this post and then the discouraged one from last year is giving me hope I'll be able to do the same between this year and next :-)

Also, please keep posting about the garden, specifically, when you start it again in the Spring, I've had an empty balcony for almost a year now that needs some green!