Tuesday, January 18, 2011

B and I were watching an episode of "Le visiteur du futur" a few days ago with a scene more or less like this:

Guy: I know why the girl I was in love with years ago now lives across the hall from me!
Girl: Huh?
Guy: It's destiny! Destiny wants us to be together!
Girl: Why does everyone think 'destiny' always plans good things for them? Don't they realize that destiny sometimes sends you bad things. Or that destiny doesn't give a rip?

And that's kind of how I've been feeling recently, that destiny has not been givin' a rip.

In an ironic turn of events, I had a job offer for a full time teaching position. This was the kind of job I never found when we moved to Toulouse and the reason I went back to school. Now that I have a Masters in Communication I get offered a job teaching.

I accepted the job, but 2 days later (before I'd seen any contract) I got an email that the job offer was rescinded. The next email in my inbox was from a temp firm asking me if I was interested in either of two positions available at my old job. I thought about it, but decided it would be way too awkward to go back after I'd said goodbye to everyone and turned the page personally.

So I'm back to square one.
I had a rather disagreeable telephone appointment with my Pole Emploi counselor which involved insinuations that I wasn't looking hard enough for work and that since there were so few jobs in communication maybe I should change fields (no, and no).

But I counted up the number of 'candidature spontanée' and job offers I'd prepared and it's true there aren't a ton. I've been trying to develop my network in order to get job leads, which is slow and invisible. I've also become extremely slow at preparing a cover letter, which is in part due to the fact that it's been so long since I've worked. It's hard to be proud of your accomplishments when you have to spend 10 minutes trying to remember them.

I think this is bothering me so much because I feel like it will have repercussions much further down the road. I imagined myself being able to travel and had financial goals like paying back student loans and buying an apartment. I wanted to have several years work experience before starting a family. But those goals seem to be slipping away.

So while I'm waiting for things change for the better, here are two things that made me laugh recently:

A tumblr account for people who work in marketing and hate it


Frank Lepage explaining "langue de bois". It's exactly how politicians talk in France today!

3 comments:

Oneika said...

wtf??? how can they offer you a job and then rescind??? isn't that illegal?

Crystal said...

How can they NOT hire you as a teacher? You are an educated, experienced, native English speaker...what more do they want? I have colleagues who don't have any diplomas in teaching or English making good money just because English is their first language. What is wrong down there in Toulouse?

L said...

For the job offer, it was only verbal, no contract signing or anything. As long as you haven't signed anything they can do anything you want, and you as well, such as accepting a different job. I read a story on an APEC forum about a woman who moved for her new job without having signed a job contract and they rescinded the offer.
I suspect that they thought I was too 'difficult' because I was asking questions about the unpaid training/teaching. There were also other candidates with experience working with adults and they preferred them.