Thursday, October 8, 2009

The day after my teeth came out my cell phone rang just after 10am. I didn't recognize the number, and as I was in the middle of taking my pills for my teeth, I didn't pay much attention to it.

About 4pm I finally listened to the message: "Hello, this is the driving school, you haven't come for your lesson."

Except that I had nicely written down in my agenda that I was driving Thursday, not Wednesday. Who would schedule driving the day after surgery? I called but their computer was down so they told me to call back in the morning.

So I headed over this morning and the computer was still down. I went back this afternoon and pleaded my case. Unfortunately for my defense the confirmation of my driving lesson did say Wednesday, but since I had orally confirmed with the instructor when he was putting it in the computer, I didn't check the paper. The owner "gave" me one hour, but not the second, so I "only" lost 39€ instead of 78€.

And to add insult to injury, the owner (who has previously pointed out that I look cross eyed....) started laughing about my choice of vocabulary and how I talked like Louis XIV. I said "originalement" for the record. Apparently that word is no longer in use. Another guy standing there kind of joked "Oh don't let him talk to you like that!" I should have pointed out that I was there to talk about money, not vocabulary, or that a foreigner spoke better than a native speaker.

Apparently I'm not the only one who has a problem with this guy though. A secretary was dealing with another woman in the office and the owner called to her "Don't spend too much time with her or she'll chat for an hour!" And then he was surprised when the woman stormed out.

Hopefully I'll be done with all this nonsense soon since I have a date to take the driving exam.

Now I just have to follow up on another million things that got lost in the shuffle between going away for the weekend for the wedding and then surgery.

1 comment:

BlondeInFrance said...

Were your teeth like super impacted or something? I just got mine popped out in about three seconds, but totally milked it for a whole week and demanded ice cream every day, lol.

Anyway, hope your recovery is going well despite all the crazniess you have to deal with now. And I would rather sound like Louis XIV than the way most kids here speak. Wesh?