Yeah, so we just got the taxe d'habitation today and have one month to pay 735€. Needless to say, we'll be pinching pennies around here until after Christmas.
B and I have never really had to pay a "real" taxe d'habitation either because we didn't declare together, weren't renting on Jan 1st, or lived in a tiny town. Last year we were still attached to Ariège and Foix and paid hardly anything. That was to be expected though (as was the huge increase, although it's still hard to swallow) because the taxe d'habitation is what funds local services: public transportation, social services, parts of City Hall. Live in a nice city like Toulouse with lots of services, and the chunk you contribute is rather large.
The impact of the local tax hadn't really sunk in before today. I know my in-laws moved to a small village in part because the suburb where they were living before had really high local taxes. Now I see the advantage of living in one of those small towns around a city, instead of right in the middle of it.
Good thing I start tutoring a college student next week. 20€ down, 705€ to go...
2 comments:
ouch.
that made me reach for the paper explaining modications on ours that I hadn't gotten around to read. It seems that ours hasn't gone up this year but as we didn't have one last year in this house, that doesn't mean much. So, I'm now waiting for our bill to drop through our letter box. It's a mystery how much we'll pay. I guess we'll find out soon.
Just got ours today too. 544€ for us, and it went up from 439€ in 2008. I was surprised the taxes got raised that much in one year. It should be cheaper next year though since Chambéry isn't as expensive as Annecy. I'm hoping so, at least!!
Post a Comment