Like the title of one of my piano books when I was a kid, here are some links "just for fun":
Faculty bingo
Working at a public university, you definitely sit through a lot of meetings that include budget cuts, colleagues on email/Facebook not listening, and passive aggressive comments.
McSweeney's
Said above faculty bingo originally came from McSweeney's, which is a snarky website with lists like "First World Solutions" (Buy from ethical companies unless you can’t find what you want, in which case, buy from Amazon.) and fun articles like "Boba Fett: Bounty Hunters, Not Stormtroopers, Will Save the Galactic Empire".
Who owns England
Upon finishing Mansfield Park, I was thinking about the British landed gentry and estate management since it comes up often in the story, and I got thinking about how modern aristocrats in England make money (after all, Downton Abbey was all about the diminishing possibility of estates to survive on farming alone). And I ended up on Who owns England, which opened my eyes to such amazing facts as that Westminister is actually owned by the Queen and land owners in no particular financial hardship still receive millions in EU farming subsidies.
Physiognomy:
Reading lots of 19th century literature, I come across a lot of character descriptions that use physiognomy concepts, like wide foreheads and deep set eyes. I know those spoke to the 19th century reader, who immediately understood the associated characteristics, but I'm sometimes at a loss.
https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2015/01/30/helpful-guide-to-human-character/
https://hunterswritings.com/2016/01/15/using-face-shapes-and-physiognomy-for-character-development/
No comments:
Post a Comment