About two weeks ago I had my annual review with my boss, and I had decided I would tell him I was actively applying and interviewing for other jobs. I explained that after 3 years in the same position I felt like I had learned everything there was to learn, and felt it was the moment to evolve professionally.
To my surprise, my boss actually had a suggestion for me: working at the doctoral school. My colleague who's the current admin assistant is leaving, and the professor who was recently elected head of the doctoral school mentioned my name to the Dean as a candidate for the job.
I had been secretly hoping they would decide to create a second position in International Relations, so the idea of working at the doctoral school didn't seem very interesting. But my boss said the new head of the school had lots of projects in mind: bilateral agreements with European universities, European funding to attract top scholars, a transition towards an English based doctoral program. Later that day the professor even stopped by my office to explain her projects in more detail.
I thought about if for a few days. I called a family friend who's worked in French universities all her career. I chatted with friends in Toulouse who are professors. I felt on the fence: should I change jobs if the new job wasn't what was aiming for? This job would be the same pay and just a 12 year renewable contract; wasn't I trying to find a better paid job with a longer contract?
And then I got one of my newsletters from LinkedIn with a link to an article with this as the description:
"Why Your Life Needs A Mission Statement
The same strategies used to create a business plan can tell you if you're on the right track in your career and personal life."
I usually don't like the recommendations to "Build your Brand" or "Organize your life like a business" (I think they don't take into consideration the idiosyncrasies of people's lives), but the idea of getting help to figure out if I was "on the right track in [my] career" was appealing.
I immediately identified with the co-workers quoted in the article who were asking "Is this the right career move for me?", and I knew that the consultant's advice applied to my case: first I needed to figure out where I wanted to go to determine if making the current career change would fit in that picture.
I looked up job offers for head of International Relations or "Responsable Valorisation de la recherche" at universities. I found job descriptions at other government structures for project leaders on European projects related to education cooperation.
Then I jotted down all the skills and knowledge these job offers listed that I currently don't have: experience managing a budget, strong knowledge of the university procedures (all the voting bodies for example), experience creating and managing contracts and agreements with international partners, knowledge of European funding procedures, managing employees.
Then I looked at what I would be doing at the doctoral school, and realized that several of those areas would be covered by the new job.
Back at work I went and chatted with my colleague currently at the doctoral school and got his opinion on the job. I sent a few questions to the head of the school and chatted with her again.
It seemed more and more like a really good move for me, and then my colleague (who was present with the professor stopped by to chat about the responsibilities I would have) sealed the deal: "I understand why you'd like to move. I'd like to get out of scolarité too."
If I didn't take this job, I don't know when I would have another opportunity. If I ever want to do something more than what I currently do, I shouldn't turn down an unexpected opportunity.
So starting in September, I'll no longer be managing a Master's program, but a doctoral school. It's the first time I will change positions for the same employer, and it seems kind of weird. I have a bit of guilt for leaving behind the professors I currently work with, but I remind myself that what makes their life easy shouldn't direct my career decisions. It should be exciting!
5 comments:
Sounds like a good decision, well-thought-out and smart for your career short-term and long-term. Shaking things up-- often a positive thing. Congrats!
Congratulations! It sounds as if this will be a good move, and sometimes its the things that aren't exactly what you planned that take you in the right direction.
Congratulations! It sounds like a great opportunity to lead you in the direction where you want to go!
-Shannon
Congratulations! Sounds like a great opportunity and definitely a good decision to not pass this up.
How exciting! Congratulations! That's the best career advice, is to make sure every new position allows you to learn something that will help you get where you want to be. And a "surprise" like this can often lead to lots of other unexpected but awesome things later on!
Post a Comment