Sunday, June 1, 2014

Toulouse humor

My husband and I were at a friend's house for a small party last night, and the conversation invariably got around to local Toulouse humor.

This past fall two comedians with a show at one of the smaller theaters in town started posting videos with some of their jokes about Toulouse on YouTube in order to get some publicity.

Having lived in Toulouse for 6 years now, I have to say the videos are pretty funny (especially the jokes about the Ariègeois!).




There are two more videos you can watch on their YouTube feed.

The next website laughed about was La Dèche du Midi, which is a spoof newspaper like The Onion or Le Gorafi. We had a good laugh about the article saying the new metro built by Moudenc would be above ground like a tramway in order to save money. Moudenc has long apposed the tramway built during Pierre Cohen's term, and he campaigned with a project to built a 3rd metro line instead of more tramways as Cohen planned.

And the last part of the evening was spent laughing about the various articles describing Toulouse and it's inhabitants in the Désencyclopédie. In the article about Toulouse, you can learn that the two main rivers in Toulouse are the Garonne and the Canal du Midi. In the list of famous people from Toulouse, they list "Le mec qui chante I feel good sur la place du Capitole" which had me laughing. If you've spent time in downtown Toulouse (around Capitole, Jean Jaurés, Esquirol), you've probably seen a short man with curly hair who is a couple fries short of a combo meal (if you know what I mean). He's often singing I feel good or I like to move it, move it and I've also seen him "directing" traffic.

No comments: