Sunday, February 13, 2011

Product review: Mon Fournil préparation pour brioche

Since I've become a bagel maker, I often check the flour aisle to see if they have particular flour types in stock (it seems like they never have the same ones!). Several months ago I decided to try one of those "préparations" next to the flour.

I'd never made brioche before, so I decided it would be a good one to try and it would give me something new. I went with the brioche mix made by Mon Fournil.

I imagine I don't really need to buy this since the ingredients are basically flour, sugar, and yeast. But I have to admit it makes it really easy. You dump out half the bag (1kg bag makes two loaves), add some milk, an egg, some butter and mix. If you do it manually like me, without a bread machine, you have to let it rise twice for 20-30 minutes each time. Then you put it in the oven and voilà:
I've been eating a slice, toasted with jam for breakfast for the past few days. It's really delicious warm and toasted. I don't know if it's because I made it manually, but it's a bit dense and much more so that regular store bought brioche. I rather like it that way since it makes it more filling, but if you use a bread machine it might be airier. A loaf like this will last me about a week for breakfast, plus a goûter or two. I paid 1.87€ for the 1 kg bag, so one loaf works out to be around 1.50€ with the price of the milk, egg, and butter taken into consideration. Pretty good considering I pay 1.50€ for 4 English muffins!

I need to change up what I eat, so after a period of cereal, English muffins, or oatmeal, this is a nice variety that's not too hard or expensive. The package suggests adding chocolate chips or other ingredients, but I haven't tried any variations like that yet. Anyone else been satisfied with a mix or been creative with what you add to them?

1 comment:

Mil said...

I haven't tried the brioche mix but the regular bread mixes. I too find they're a bit denser than what you get at the bakery but I agree that it's nice and filling. I've tried Leclerc's organic bread mix which is about 1.70 for a kilo and makes two loaves. All you do is add water, so it's definitely cheaper than buying organic bread that's already made.