Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Making the grade

I was flipping through the December issue of Toulouse Mag that was still lying around, when I saw this in a review of local spas:

Notice anything?

Here's a hint: how did the Relaxia Spa do?

I thought it was so typical French to give something a 5 across the board in all categories, but not be able to give it a 20/20 total score.

Back when I was applying to my study abroad program, the French department at my college showed a video made by students a few years before during some prolonged strikes. They had the "Responsable des étudiants étrangers" with a poster explaining the French grading out of 20. The poster had something like this
10/20= C'est bien!
15/20= Vous maitrisez
18/20= Le prof
20/20= Dieu

I know perfection is impossible, but I think sometimes you have to accept something as perfect because it perfectly matches your expectations and the situation, not some arbitrary criteria. It's funny how in the States I thought of myself as demanding (though not a perfectionist) and in France I consider things 'good enough' way before many French people.

No comments: