Sunday, April 11, 2010

Baseball!

I got an email from the France États-Unis club last week that there was a baseball game this Sunday.

If you hear about a game around you, I highly recommend going. It was worth is just to hear "Ensuite, Frédéric Garnier en shortstop, Jules Dubois en catcher...." and then "Troisième retrait avec le fly ball". I had a really great afternoon, and the home team won by scoring 5 runs in the 8th inning!

There were a number of toys out for kids to play with, so it was a fun family atmosphere. The snack shop sold imitation hot dogs (French sausage on baguettes), but there was also cotton candy, and at the end of the game a salsa group played (I left though). The visiting team came from around Paris, so they actually played two games in the day to make the most of the trip. I missed the first game that started at 10:30am, but I saw the entire afternoon game (and got a bit of a sunburn too!).

As an added bonus there was also an American football game going on at the same time on the next field over. I went over and took a look, but since there was not scoreboard I had no idea where they were in the game.

Here are some pics:
T-shirts for sale and snack stand

The scoreboard at the end of the first game (Toulouse lost). Apparently there are no translations for strike, ball, and out.

The snack shack (buvette) with the players getting sausages on baguettes

Some of the play things out for the kids.
The football game on the adjacent field

3rd down I think. Apparently there were cheerleaders, but I didn't see them.
My friend said they weren't very good anyway, but that their cheers were in English.



The menus at the snack shack. So, will you have the Triple play or the hit and run.
And I'm just now realizing that the French person who made the menu didn't realize that "Hit and run" doesn't refer to baseball....
Let's play some ball!

2 comments:

BlondeInFrance said...

I saw some kids playing baseball once down in Mulhouse and I think there is an American football team in this area, but still have yet to see actual games! Will have to keep an eye out, summer just isn't summer without hotdogs and baseball!

Unknown said...

I find it quite amusing that you went to a baseball game before me this season. It sounds awesome! I'm super jealous. There's no minor league team in Ithaca. Perhaps I should just go see Cornell's team play.