Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tutoring

I should be doing dishes or working on my Masters project, but this is perfect blogging material.

Today I tutored one of my students for the last time. In 9th grade, the boy is dyslexic and suffers from the French school system (teachers actually tell him he doesn't try hard enough and that his spelling stinks...). Even though I didn't earn a ton tutoring him since I'm paid on a sliding scale according to the grade of the student, it was really rewarding to work with a kid who really needed the help and to see him progress. It helps that his family also had the cuddliest cat in the world (who would come and meow at us during the lesson until we pet him).

As I was shuffling the flash cards we'd made together during the tutoring sessions for high-frequency words (he still mixes up come, can, want, and must) I noticed that he was adjusting his shorts in a way that more or less revealed he was trying to scratch his crotch. Oh teenage boys... I tried to not look because it's actually very weird when your student tries to discretely scratch those regions. We kept working and he stopped scratching, and then I smelled something. I wondered what it was for an instant, and then I saw that he had taken of his shoes. Oh teenage boys who haven't realized yet that puberty has hit and they smell a lot more than when they were 11......

No comments: