The gastro is all gone, but I know have another (weird) health problem.
Last Monday right when I was starting to get the gastro I noticed that my eyesight seemed to have changed abruptly. I didn't pay much attention to it though because I was then sick. By the time I was feeling better (Thursday) I had figured out that I had a fuzzy/blurry circle in the middle of my vision with my left eye. I made an appointment with an optometrist, but he of course didn't have any openings before July 16th.
Friday I looked online to see what a blurry spot in your vision could be (fyi: don't use the Mayo Clinic symtoms checker; it said I had macular degeneration). I called back the optometrist to explain my problem better and see if I couldn't get an appointment sooner and he advised me to go to the emergency optomology service at the CHU. So I called the CHU and explained my problem again and they said they could see me at 3pm (or never, the person on the phone seemed to say). This was at 2pm of course, so I had to quickly explain what was going on to my colleague, and then I left work and took the bus to the hospital.
At the hospital I started off in the regular consultations where they measured the pressure of my eyes and tested my vision briefly. I waited there for a bit, but apparently that service closes at 3:30, so I was then lead upstairs to the emergency service. I only waited about 5 minutes before I was seen by three interns. They each took turns looking at my eyes and concluded there were little white spots in my left eye. They put drops in my eyes to dilate them so then I waited about 20 minutes for my eyes to full dilate. The three interns looked again and then the one most in charge explained that I have MEWDS. Multiple evanescent white dot syndrome.
Apparently MEWDS is white spots in the eye that eventually go away in about 6 weeks and there's no treatment. Thursday I have some extra tests at the other CHU in Toulouse just to make sure it's MEWDS. In the meantime it feels like I'm wearing someone else's glasses.
So far my experience of the CHU was fine. I left at 5pm on Friday, so I was there for two hours. I didn't wait too long and everything was explained. The hospital I went to on Friday though was a really huge complex with about 50 buildings and I had to use a map to find my way around. I don't know if the other CHU is like that, but I'll find out on Thursday.
4 comments:
Wow, what a story! At least you got in to see someone and they checked it thoroughly... AND it will go away by itself. One of our friends here in Paris had almost the same symptoms, and very suddenly like that, and it turned out to be toxoplasmosis. It was very scary for a while there!
(ps i didn't mean to delete my last comment! oops!)
What a relief it'll go away! You sound so calm about it, I would have been freaking out! I use the webmd symptom checker, and 9/10 it says I have lime disease, no matter what I put in there.
Wow! Glad to hear that it's an easily solved problem in any case.
So let me ask you, do the interiors of French hospitals make you feel like you're in some old decrepit Soviet hospital? Because I always feel like.
Post a Comment