Tuesday, December 11, 2007

And while I'm complaining....

I told a French-American friend that it was really hard to find plain clothing in France sometimes. He didn't understand.

Case in point:

I want a plain slip to wear under a dress shirt I have because the fabric lifts a bit between the buttons. If I get a job as a receptionist I don't want my bra to show.

I finally figured out that what I was looking for is called a caraco or for a full slip une combinaison (I always thought that was a suit or something...). And surprise surprise, almost the only ones I can find online are colorful and sexy with bows and lace, except for 3 Suisse or La Redoute. I wanted to see if Etam or Darjeeling even has "normal" slips before I make the trip to Toulouse, but it seems I won't be able to try on a plain caraco.

I miss JC Penny and Sears for their no-nonsense women's departments.

And don't get me started on finding a leather belt here that doesn't scream poufiasse.

No comments: