Wednesday, July 13, 2016

New projects, part 1 : sewing

Last winter my husband's grandmother passed away, and as no one else in the family sews, I ended up receiving her Singer Club 6230.

My mom has always been a big sewer, and now especially quilter, so I learned the basics as a kid. But after 6th grade I don't think I really sewed much of anything until last year.

First I decided I would cover some old throw pillows we have for the couch. Then I tried making a pair of pajama pants for my husband. Then I made a much better pillow cover. Then I ordered some patterns and made a dress, then a second one, plus another pair of pajamas, two children's aprons, a knight's cape, and alterations on some clothes that hadn't been fitting right for ages.

Along the way I ended up with a small collection of accessories like a rotary cutter and self-healing mat, an organizing box for pins, needles, thread, scissors, tailor's chalk, etc, and of course my fabric (my stash is still very reasonable).

Years ago my mom tried to convince me to buy a machine, and to hide my complete lack of interest in sewing I said we didn't have any room (we still don't, so the machine is "stored" under the coffee table), so my sudden interest in sewing has come as a big surprise for me. But it actually fits nicely with other "maker" activities I enjoy: gardening, baking and cooking, knitting. I really enjoy the combination of precision with creativity and having something to wear and use in the end. I get a real sense of satisfaction of making something exactly like I like it, often for a lot less than what it costs at a store. My husband jokes when I set up the machine that the Bangladeshi are back, and even if I do end up spending more money on fabric and accessories I like knowing that it's one less item from an exploited worker.

Since my sewing skills are a bit rusty, and there were a lot of things I never learned when I was a kid, I've spent a lot of time on various websites and sewing blogs. Here are a few of my favorite (in no particular order):

This blog is not for you
said & done
Crafsty
Tilly and the buttons
Sewholic patterns
Closet Case Files
Pattern Review

I also have become an unashamed fan of The Great British Sewing Bee.

I went to Mood Fabric in New York when we were there in May, and only discovered afterwards that it's the super mega famous store where Project Runway always takes their contestants. Since I didn't particularly want a t-shirt or traditional souvenir from New York, I decided to buy some fabric and found a beautiful cotton sateen that I will be making into a dress and hopefully a second item (skirt or bolero I'm thinking).

So speaking of this new hobby, I need to get back to my most recent project so I can clear the table later for dinner! (Unlike my mother with a sewing room, I have to put the leaves in the dining table, and then remove them, each time I want to sew)

1 comment:

Canedolia said...

I'm impressed that you've managed to make so many things! I have the same problem as you, that the sewing table is also the dining table, but like you I also appreciate that all my projects are made under ethical working conditions.