Thursday, June 30, 2016

No, actually that is the definition

Late May a new law came out in France that regulates PhDs in France, including rules about how you defend it. The new law includes a phrase that the jury that listen to you defend must have an "équilibre" between the male and female members. No more 7 member male juries.

I didn't expect the amount of male doctoral students and professors who would begin complaining about how this new requirement was such a huge burden and would be problematic, because you understand "there just aren't any women who research this subject".

After a discussion with a doctoral student I emailed him a link about the scholarly study done by Sarah-Jane Leslie on the perception of brilliance and competence of women (spoiler: women are automatically perceived as less competent or brilliant), and he returned to my office very upset that I would insinuate that he was sexist and among those people who think women are less talented. Never mind he was just complaining about how the complexity of his topic meant it would be very difficult to find a woman who was an expert in it.

Afterwards I was thinking about how to handle someone who doesn't realize that their actions/beliefs are in fact sexist/racist/discriminatory. Perhaps a week later I was reading this article about the redistricting of schools in Brooklyn and how so many white parents were for desegregation, just not when it came to sending their own child to a school with a minority of white students. Those parents think of themselves as progressive liberals, but their actions are just the opposite.

Like with so many people who say things like "I"m not racist, but XYZ people just aren't as intelligent", I've been hearing at work "I'm not a sexist, but this new law will mean we'll have to pick random women for the juries just to respect the law."

Actually, what you just said is sexist.

I guess if they're convinced they aren't sexist, I can reply "Well, since I know you really aren't sexist, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding qualified diverse researchers including women for your jury. You know better than men that the days of white men running the world are long gone."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! We are long past due for the bad old days to be gone.