We've had security guards posted all around the University since yesterday, and I'm more than a little annoyed by all the security theater.
I've always thought airport style security checks weren't very effective, and then we saw this Adam Ruins Everything sketch. The security expert in the sketch is Bruce Schneier and he has his own website ( www.schneier.com ) which covers a lot of topics, especially about the most recent terrorist attacks.
I hate that I have to show my University ID and open my purse to some random private security guard who has no idea what is going on. One of my colleagues is technically employed by a research institution, but "lent" to the University and he doesn't have a current University ID (it's complicated...). He showed last year's ID and got in without a hitch.
The University is also spread out in three different sites, which means if I go across the parking lot to take some paperwork to a colleague I have to re-prove my identity twice (once over there, again when I return to my building).
What takes the cake is that because of all this "security", I have to establish lists of all non-University persons who might be coming to the University so they can get in. This is a surprising amount of people: guest instructors or researchers, jury members, friends and family attending a thesis defense... Administrative staff get to waste time making lists. Despite all the messages we've got about only approved people being on campus, we've continued to receive deliveries of things like toner or office supplies because apparently looking like a delivery guy means you get in without being on any list. A+ for security!
I imagine all this security is costing the University an arm and a leg as well.
Enough ruminating for tonight, time to make dinner.
1 comment:
Yeah, I don't see what has changed in Brussels between the weekend and today when everything opened back up, even though the alert level is the same. No police on the route I travel to work.
Post a Comment