One of my recent favorite shows that I listen to as a podcast is Ideas with Paul Kennedy. Here's the description from the website:
"Ideas is eclectic in form and content. We cover social issues, culture and the arts, geopolitics, history, biography, science and technology, and the humanities. Most of our programs are documentaries in which thoughts are gathered, contexts explored, and connections made."The show is rather long, with each episode lasting around 50 minutes, but I end up listening to one or more when I spend time in the kitchen (washing dishes plus cooking a meal for example).
I've only been listening to Ideas for a few months, but here are some of my favorite episodes:
Science under siege (3 part show)
It's The Economists, Stupid
The Myth of the Secular (7 part, but it's worth it)
Chris Hedges: War is a drug
High Culture, Part 1 (2 part)
The show is currently celebrating it's 50th anniversary, and they have several episodes to commemorate the anniversary where listeners share episodes that particularly touched them, or even changed their lives. If you want to get a taste for the kinds of things that are covered in Ideas, I would recommend listening to these episodes.
If anyone listens to a similar podcast produced elsewhere, I'd be curious to discover it.
1 comment:
Thanks for the suggestion - I'm going to try it. Have you browsed the BBC podcasts? You might like "Arts and Ideas", "Thinking Allowed", or "In Our Time". They're eclectic and thought-provoking.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts
Post a Comment