Monday, July 8, 2013

Foreign Service update

I never posted about the update in my Foreign Service application process, which I want to do in case there's anyone curious about the process.

After learning I passed the written exam, I had a few weeks to prepare limited length answers to several different questions. Writing a short paragraph explaining a time you were in a position of leadership is actually pretty hard. Writing several answers without re-using the same life experiences was even harder!

I submitted my answers in April, and waited until May 20th to hear if I would be able to advance to the interview stage (Oral Exam).

Unfortunately I wasn't invited to the Oral Exam.

When I found out in May I was both disappointed and relieved. When you go to the oral exam you have to bring with you a form for your background check, as well as one for any non-American spouses. I looked up what the form includes, and I was put off by the fact you have to list all non-American friends or family members you have as well as justify any bank accounts or property you have abroad. They obviously want to make sure you don't have a house in Afghanistan or friends in North Korea and having a French husband is generally not a problem, but I don't want to have to prove my American-ness.

If I want to try again I have to start over with the written exam. You can only take it once a year so I have until next winter to think about whether or not I want to apply again. I still think working in the Foreign Service would be an amazing career and life experience, but I also like staying put a bit in Toulouse and becoming anchored in the community.

Something to mull over in the next 6 months....

No comments: