Tuesday, March 5, 2013

It's been two months since my last post....

In my defense, my spare time in January was spent studying because February 5th I took the Foreign Service test at the US Embassy in Paris.

And then...

I kind of held my breath until I got my results last Friday. I passed (although I won't find out till May if I can go to an interview).

Between a huge project at work (my professor supervisors decided we could manage major event planning in addition to our regular work load) I didn't even realize how I was holding things in till I got my test results. I read the email and a huge sigh of relief came out.

Things are far from certain because getting an interview invite is difficult, but I have to decide by March 20th if I will list some of my current colleagues and supervisors has references. So far I haven't told anyone at work that I've applied for the Foreign Service, and with the sequestration and budget cuts it's possible someone like me could qualify for a job, but never actually get a firm offer. Once you've passed all the interviews and background checks, you go on a list and wait to get called to training based on hiring needs, the track you choose, and your recruitment score. If 18 months go by and they don't need people in your track, or your score means other people get placed before you, or budget cuts reduce the number of positions, you have to start the process all over again.

How do you phrase the question better than "Could you be a reference for me for a job I might get and leave you all, but am also likely not to get?"

I also have to decide if I will apply for a Concours this year as part of the requirement if I want to stay at the University longer than next year (currently 2nd year, 3rd year possible but concours registration necessary to stay after that). If I want to stay on in my current position I would have to finish my nationality application, but a concours this year would be for a higher position than what I currently have.


Decisions, decisions, and lots of plan B's and strategizing...

No comments: