Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Bike accessories

Since my daily commute is by bike, I'm often on the look out for stylish solutions to cycling 'problems' like fly-away skirts.

A while ago I heard about these clips that were meant for skirts or clothes while biking, made by Nomonro (Dutch of course, who else makes cute bike accessories?).

This fall I ordered two. (There was a slight delay because of a problem paying with PayPal, but when I called them they were really nice)

They came in fun packaging:


One of the clips I ordered:

The "directions" on how to use the clips:

Of course, a certain cat could not resist ribbons on packaging or small items that seemed perfect for biting and attacking.

I ordered the least expensive models, which were 11.95€ each. They sell fancier ones for 16 or even 22€ each.

For the moment, I'm not 100% satisfied with the clips, but I think I need to try them on summer dresses before I make an opinion. The clips are basically large hair clips, like this:
covered in fabric. The inside of the clip is like the fuzzy side of velcro, so it cushions and grips your clothes.

The pluses:
stylish
keep flyaway skirts down
easy to use, just snap open, snap closed
store easily in a small pocket

The minuses:
lighter than what I expected, so less effective on heavier fabrics
no magnetic properties like I expected, so thick fabric loosens the grip of the clip
a bit expensive
have experienced them falling off

I think the clips will work well with lighter fabric in spring and summer clothes, but in the winter I had hoped I could use them to weigh down my rain poncho and it didn't quite work. My rain poncho has a tendency to ride up my thighs while I'm pedaling, and my legs get wet as a result. I tried attached one clip on each side of the poncho near my knees, and the usual result was that the clips banged against my bike frame and didn't keep the poncho pulled over my knees. One time a clip actually came off and I had to circle around the pick it up. If I wear my longer trench coat I can clip the poncho to the bottom of my coat and that worked well.

I ended up buying these clips because I had a hard time tracking down magnets to make this magnetic skirt garter, and while I don't exactly regret my purchase, I wish they were little beefier.

Anyone else tried these clips, or heard of a different product?

No comments: