Monday, December 27, 2010

Looking back at how we lived

Back in May I saw this documentary, and then I never heard anything more about it. After much searching (I couldn't remember the name of it), I finally found the website for the show, and the complete documentary on Daily Motion.

The documentary looks at the way homes and urban settings have changed over the last 50 years in France. Families who were among the first to move into shiny new HLM's talk about how great it was in the beginning. Families who moved into the first 'lotissement' talk about what it was like. There's a lot of interesting archive footage, plus home videos. The producers bring up the evolving point of view of the government (something encouraging renting, then buying, then not...) which I knew nothing about.

I've embedded the first part of the show here, and if you click through to Daily Motion you'll see the other parts (6 in total).

The M6 website seems set up for a series, not a one-shot documentary, so I wonder if there were supposed to be a number of different topics covered in additional documentaries. I sure would be interested in learning about other areas of French culture over the past 50 years.


50 ans qui ont changé notre quotidien - Mon logement PART 1
envoyé par mimibylka. - Regardez les dernières vidéos d'actu.

No comments: