Sunday, August 15, 2010

A friend of mine is coming from California the end of this week. Unfortunately she's not coming on vacation (although we'll get in some sight-seeing) but to be treated by a world specialist in brain tumors in Marseille. It's been a long complicated process getting a date at the hospital, getting a flight, and organizing where she'll stay before and after her hospitalization. I'm lucky to have in-laws and a friend willing to host us for a few days.

Chatting with her to help her prep for the trip has lead me to dispel a lot of pre-conceived ideas. Parts of her family aren't happy she's coming to France because they're convinced the French are extremely rude. Her half-sister wanted to study French in high school by her step-mom forbade her because the French hate the Americans. A woman at a beauty parlor told her she should definitely wear a money bag because there are so many pick-pockets. Another friend told her French women only wear heels because they're so feminine. I told her spartian sandals were in style but she had trouble finding them in the States because she was convinced they must have high heels (a saleswomen assured her no).

I'm a Facebook friend of the blogger Always Ace and her niece recently posted pictures of her trip to France, including the yogurt aisle at the grocery store. I know my friend will be similar. I'm looking forward to helping her discover France though. I think because she heard so many negative things she wants to prove those people wrong by finding lots of good things in France.

She's preparing her suitcase today and I chatted with her about potential hostess gifts. Trying to be helpful, my friend offered some suggestions "What can you find in the States but not in France? Some special coffee? Chocolate? Candy?" I tried to downplay that American coffee and chocolate aren't that great compared to what you can find in France. So much of American food is filled with high fructose corn syrup and preservatives as well; it just wouldn't do as a gift. She comes from a Hawaiian/Filipino family so we finally decided on her finding something Hawaiian.

Seeing all the difficulties my friend has had to overcome to make this trip, I've come to appreciate some of the basics about my current life: good health, good affordable health care if I do get sick, reasonable financial security, family, and a good quality of life.

So now the big question: I can be a tour guide from Toulouse to Arles, but I've only been to Marseille once (for the Consulate). Besides the port, what's there to visit? It won the Capitale de la Culture, so there must be some neat things. According to Google maps St Tropez is a 2 1/2 hour drive away and I figure a day trip is doable (but would it be better to go to Cannes?). This might be the only time my friend comes to Southern France or France at all, so I'd like to squeeze in as many famous sites as possible.

3 comments:

megan said...

Cassis is lovely. A boat tour of the calanques might be nice? Also, Aix-en -Provence is quite charming!

BlondeInFrance said...

My friend just sent me chocolate covered macadamia nuts and though I've never particularly tried to find them here, when I ask, people don't seem to always know what they are. Just in ice cream or cookies. So that would be an awesome America/Hawaii thing for her to bring!

au soleil levant said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope her surgery turns out well and the hospital staff treat her with respect. You should both be prepared (well, I assume you already know, but she may be shocked) that the doctors and nurses probably won't want to share much information with you (because of course patients shouldn't know what's happening with their own health!) and that they probably won't be as touchy-feely-nicey nicey as in the US. It can be really shocking and upsetting when you have a serious health issue and also have to deal with uncooperative, even mean medical professionals. Don't be afraid to tell them what's what and advocate for your friend! Good luck and good health.