I decided to take the leap and announce the difficult news to my friend: her brain condition has changed her personality and lead her to misjudge situations in a negative light or to be overly excited to the point of being manic.
She used to be a very even-keeled person, but her condition has lead her to interpret many neutral situations as negative and to become pissed off at the drop of a hat. Jokes her brother makes she takes as insults. And then she becomes manic and scarily excited and is really happy for 30 minutes.
This past week I've been on the fence about talking to her about the significant differences in her personality I've noticed since the last time I saw her (2007). She said she really appreciated the honesty of another friend, and I decided that a true friend would let her know what it's like on the outside. She's been confused by why so many relationships (romantic and platonic) have ended recently, and I decided that she should know that her personality changes due to her brain condition were probably the deciding factor.
This has nothing to do with life in France besides my life, but otherwise I'd have to write about all the construction work in Marseille or that what the transit website describes as the metro ticket options is not the same as the choices available at the machines. And drivers in Marseille are crazy.
2 comments:
Your friend is very lucky to have a caring and honest person like you in her life. I'm sure it was a difficult decision to make, and even more difficult to see someone so close to you change entirely, but it sounds like you made the right choice. Hopefully the doctor she's seeing will be able to give her some good news and she'll be back to her usual personality soon. Hang in there. It's a real tribute to how good a friend you are that you're standing by her through all of this.
How did your friend react?
Post a Comment