Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Making bagels

I took some pictures the last time I made bagels, so I thought I would share my new "hobby". As I mentioned before, I use Bagels comme à New York. My next batch I plan on making chocolate chip bagels, which uses chestnut flour.

These are the dry ingredients for pumpernickel bagels. The dark powder underneath is unsweetened chocolate and on top are caraway seeds.

These are the wet ingredients: water, yeast, egg yolks, molasses or rice syrup, olive oil and butter (other recipes may use milk or other ingredients)

My bagel book usually calls for "sirop de malt" or molasses, but I haven't been able to find malt syrup and I found molasses a bit too strong. Rice syrup has no noticeable taste and seems to work perfectly.

An optional addition is wheat gluten, which helps make the inside of the bagel doughy. I got it at the organic store.

Rye flour for the pumpernickel bagels. Rye flour can be found in some larger supermarkets, but it's not always in stock. I just look for all the specialty ingredients now at an organic store.

Mixing the dough: it's pretty dense and not much liquid compared to the dry ingredients, so it's easier to kneed by hand to get everything evenly distributed.

Not done yet. When the bagel dough is well mixed it's not very sticky, so this is still the beginning.

Here are the bagels all set to be left alone for 1-2 hours. You can see that they're smooth now.

Two hours later, they've risen and become more plump.

Poaching them. My pot lets me do three at a time.

Waiting to go in the oven. They're shiny because I brushed egg white on them after they were poached. This helps make the outside firm and crispy. I put them on butcher paper sprinkled with corn meal (the directions given in the bagel cookbook).

These are the milk and egg bagels I made the same day. I think I forgot the take a picture of the pumpernickel in the oven, so I took a picture of this batch.

Ready to cool, slice, and store in the freezer. Since there are no preservatives, they will go stale quickly unless frozen. I pre-slice them because then I can just pop them in the toaster. As you can see, they aren't evenly browned because my oven isn't evenly hot when there are that many things baking inside. I should have done each sheet separately, but I also have a life, so I forced it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

they look so good! bravo for the effort. I could never go through all that. I stock up when I go home to the UK and then freeze them. yummy. thinking about it...i could murder a raisin and cinnamon. nnn

BlondeInFrance said...

Amazing! If my oven could fit more than three at a time, I would totally go for it, I have been getting crazy hankerings for home food lately.

Amber said...

This is incredible! Can I come visit you for lessons???

Anonymous said...

so when are you opening your bagel shop? they look great! seriously, you could probably set up at st. aubin, and i can assure you i wouldn't be the only one buying!!

Ksam said...

I can't believe I'm the only one leaving a comment saying how much those pumpernickel bagels look like poo!! ;)