Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Planting seeds

For a few of you on Facebook, you've seen that I found out my job ends June 30th.

I've had a short term contract ever since the beginning, but there was always the possibility of getting a long term contract and staying with the company. It wasn't quite peachy keen, but it was a good experience and decent pay.

Sunday night I received an email though from a professional networking group I'm part of. A flat for rent, a presentation to attend, and a job offer.... that was my job.

My company has started advertising to fill my position, so I know they won't be offering me any new contract. Before receiving the offer I had asked my boss if she knew anything about my future with the company and she said she wouldn't be making any decisions until after our big event. Now I know the decision has already been made.

While I was rather surprised to find out the way I did, I can't say I didn't see the writing on the wall.

I have a couple ideas, so now it's just a question of planting seeds and see which ones blossom. I've already begun by telling a number of people that I'm looking for work, and they said they'd keep their eyes open.
There's always the silver lining that I'll be unemployed when my parents come for a wedding in July which means I'll be able to spend time with them.

2 comments:

Reb said...

Although I tend to avoid confrontation at all cost, I think I'd actually say something to my boss about seeing the ad for MY job. Then again, I'd probably just let it fester since that's what I tend to do best...

I'm sure you'll find the right thing because I'm a firm believe that things happen for a reason.

And if you're not working in August, maybe we can meet when I'm at my in-laws' near Montauban?! Would be nice to meet you!

L said...

Sounds great in August. And I've never actually visited Montauban, so it'll get me out in the region.