Not that I haven't done anything for the last few days, but today I decided to really send out cover letters and resumés. I have a tendency to start writing a cover letter, and then work on something else so I can go back to it with fresh eyes, except that I usually forget to go back to it. Which means I have 15 different job applications in the works at all times, but I only get around to sending a few of them in a timely manner.
So I forced myself to finish a cover letter I'd started last night, and I sent it off late this morning. Two o'clock I got a call and I'm going for an interview tomorrow morning.
Exciting, but I'm not counting my eggs before they hatch because it's just a part-time position and from what I understand, it's answering the phone and making appointments. But it's a CDI (if I understood correctly!) which means a long term job.
I've been feeling paralyzed about applying for some teaching assistant jobs in the English departments of the universities in town because I have this idea that I have to send it to the right person and I really should go and introduce myself in person and only send a resumé after I've chatted with someone. Which means that I never send one because I haven't been out to any of the universities. I took a step though today and emailed some of the current English assistants to ask about the hiring process. Hopefully I'll get a response in a day or two about which secretary to send my info to, or that it's absolutely necessary to come in person, or something of the sort.
It's almost strange to think that maybe I'll be working soon. I feel out of practice, and for as much as I want a job (and some money), I've gotten used to my routine. Every day I do my regular searches on the national unemployment website ANPE: English, secretary, receptionist, bilingual; then I try a second website that groups the results from a number of other sites. I print out the job offers that interest me, and prepare some of them. In the afternoon I make myself a cup of tea and watch tv for half and hour. I usually do some dishes and a load of laundry, and every other day or so I go out on an errand.
In the beginning, I didn't want a part time position, but this might be just the thing to ease me back into the work routine. And as soon as I have less time do housework and apply for jobs, I'm sure I'll do them twice as fast as I do now (when I have all day).
I said I wouldn't count my eggs, but maybe I can do this part time job till the end of summer, and then teach English in one of the universities in the fall while I work on my Masters at Sciences Po.
To be continued.....
2 comments:
Bon courage with your job search! I was an "assistante" in a lycee for a year and tried to get hired on as a "lectrice" at a university afterwards. I picked out schools in places that I'd like to live and sent them my CV with a cover letter. To my surprise, most wrote back to say that either they were't hiring new ones or that their lecteurs/lectrices tend to be arranged as exchanges with British or American universities who sent grad students. But I know not all French universities are like that.
I just found out myself that the "Fac de Lettres" in Toulouse hires most of it's lecteurs/lectrices through exchanges, and that the jobs for next year are all set. But some of the specialty schools (Engineering, Agriculture, etc) don't have exchanges, so hopefully I can find something.
Post a Comment