Last Friday B and I went to a concert given by a local community band to see if it would be interesting to join it. We missed the first piece because I misunderstood the directions they gave me over the phone for how to find the community hall. I flopped the name of the street and the name of the hall, which meant we walked for a while until we just happened upon it. It made for a good laugh that I still have a hard time understanding people I don't know over the phone, and B smiled and said that if he was with a French woman he'd never have the adventures we have.
Then Saturday we braved it and went to Carrefour in the afternoon (we made a pact while we were there to never do that again). The Carrefour was ginormous! Even if you had a clear path, if you were to run from one end to the other, I think it would take you easily 2 minutes. Two minutes doesn't sound like anything, but think how far down the sidewalk you could run in 120 seconds. Pretty far I think.
We just kept wandering around the store with stars in our eyes oogling the book store, the kitchenware store, and the Jardiland, all in the same store. There were 5 or 10 dressing rooms in the womens' clothing section. Plus the regular grocery store side. It was just huge. The entrances were numbered so you wouldn't get lost, and the galerie de marchands was incredible. Since when is there a Lacoste store at Carrefour?!?! I browsed H & M and Esprit while I was there too and B took a turn around Saturn, the electronics store. Anyone know what country H & M is from, btw?
We were really tired after Carrefour, especially since we'd seen Sweeney Todd (in English!!) in the morning and gone out for sushi, but happy to be able to do all those things in the same day now that we're in the city.
Our modem is supposed to be delivered today, but we'll see. I'd love to be able to use the internet outside the bathroom (at my desk, for example). Here's to hoping we have a phone line and internet by tonight, and back to bad cover letters and my job search. I'll post about my experience at the immigration office next.
1 comment:
H&M is Swedish, like Ikea.
Post a Comment