Friday, July 6, 2007

Under-achiever

I just read an article about two recent grads from my college that are exceptional over-achievers. They were excepted into Harvard Business School straight out of college, without the usual requisite years of experience in business. I like to think that I've done exceptional things. I studied abroad, and now I've worked and lived abroad as well. I lived in Alaska for one summer and drove there and back. I've traveled around Europe, including southern Italy by myself, which is a feat in and of itself. And then I hear about the two grads and I feel like I've done nothing. I have no prizes to my name. My one measly internship wasn't for Goldman Sachs or Citigroup but a small French firm of 5 employees that no one's ever heard of. No one wants to hire me in Midi-Pyrénées, and I may even run into carte de séjour problems soon.

It's odd how the over-achievers in France are often those who place well in a concours; "I was 50 out of 15000." There's a lot less striving throughout the academic career to perform. Once you're in, it seems the French don't care or don't have to make as much an effort.

I know, I know, one day I'll have a real career and more accomplishments and I'll be able to read those articles about the recent grads and think "Well, I got B+'s and A-'s and I had the time to call my boyfriend in France and sing in the choir and watch Sex and the City with a friend." I suppose I decided a long time ago that I wanted to have a life and spend some time with my friends once I finished my work. Perhaps one day there'll be an article about me in the alumnae newsletter.

1 comment:

The Late Bloomer said...

Oh trust me, you're not alone in this! And you're certainly not an under-achiever: you're a unique individual, as we all are. I know you're going to think that sounds really cheesy, but I've come to accept that one way or another, even if I don't do anything "exceptional" per se, that I am who I am and I have succeeded in certain domains on my own...

I graduated in 1996 and I've wobbled back and forth between going back to get another degree in France, and I'm still unsure as to what path to pursue. In the meantime, I have other hopes, aspirations and dreams, including a family, so I hope to fulfill myself in other ways as well.

The truth of the matter is, I hate the fact that in our society today we are defined by what we "do" on a professional level, and not who we "are" as individuals. Because honestly I think that our true value shines through in other ways.

Again, this may sound very corny and not be very reassuring, but I just wanted to tell you that we are all on the path to figure out who we are and how to be recognized in the world. I, too, ask myself a lot of the same questions!

Hang in there -- bonne continuation !