Friday, July 28, 2017

Count down to the UK

Monday I leave for my vacation in South West England, walking part of the South West Coast Path.

Since there are a certain amount of logistics involved (and in rural England you don't want to miss the last bus or ferry), I've been checking, printing, and preparing things for the last few days. I won't be using a baggage service after all since the company servicing Dorset was very expensive, so I'm thinking very carefully about everything I'm taking as I will have to carry it for 9 days!

No trip like this is without a few complications, and I realized on Monday that my order of guide maps and a SWCP journal was never processed. Since it was risky to re-order and receive them by Saturday, this means that it will be a bit complicated for me to get the guides I need (my back up plan of click and collect with Waterstones is still waiting for the guides to be shipped...), and I'm a bit bummed I won't have the journal since it would have been cool to have one journal I could complete over several years to finish the path.

I do have another journal I took on my two previous walking vacations, and opening it up today I liked what I wrote back in 2013:

The evening before my departure brought on some momentary regret for having organized such an elaborate trip so "far" from home. The idea of snuggling up in my own bed seemed like a wonderful idea for vacation, but I know cabin fever would have set in before too long and 10 days away sill make the homecoming all the more sweeter.
Just two more days to get everything ready!

No comments: