Sunday, June 25, 2017

Petit Bac

About 10 days ago, a young colleague suggested we play "le petit Bac" during lunch, so we pushed our tupperwares to the side, got some paper and pens, and started debating categories.

I had never played "le petit Bac", but as I discovered the rules are rather simple: you list categories, like first name, animal, food, plant, city, celebrity, color, etc, pick a letter in the alphabet, and try to be the first to think of something for each category that starts with the letter. We went with the point system of 1 point if your item was unique, and 0 points if someone else had also thought of the name/animal/city etc. The person who has the most points for the round gets to say the alphabet in their head until someone else says "stop" and thus determine the letter for the following round.

I've played at least twice, and it's a rather fun way to spend part of my lunch break. I never win, since words in English usually come before words in French and I can't finish all the categories, but we laugh about what we all find. There are also debates, such as whether or not Guyane counts as a country, and whether "sauge" is a color, and farine (flour) can be an object. Some rather odd things have come to my mind, such as "houpette" for object (puff for loose powder).

Most of my colleagues hadn't played since collège/lycée, and it's clearly a kid thing, but we've been having fun. If you're curious about the kinds of categories you can list, a google search for "catégories petit bac" will bring up lots of ideas.

No comments: