While the state of my desk and night stand might not exactly be the best proof, I really like having my things in order and organized. I regularly set out my clothes the night before, coordinated jewelry included, so my morning routine can be more efficient.
So when I spent time in the lovely house of my friends in Mull in August, I came home thinking it was time to put a bit more order in the apartment. Most things have a spot in an ad-hoc system, instead of any deliberate organization. I also wanted to make sewing a bit easier by organizing my things better. And I decided I should re-organize some of my clothes because when I did the winter-summer clothes storage switch this spring I realized there were lots of scarves I had never worn because they were hidden behind so many other ones (also, there were some mad dashes in the morning to get out of the house and I just took the first one available, cf above).
But the whole process has turned into a frustrating confirmation of how little space we have as each ingenious idea has turned out to be impossible. I thought I would tuck a functional but not pretty plastic drawer unit which stores fabric and yarn between the couch and French doors since it's currently unceremoniously between the couch and table (and makes it more or less impossible to go around the table on that side). But of course I'm about 3 inches short for it to fit between the wall and the speaker on the side of the couch.
And after shifting some bags and purses to the space previously occupied by my yarn and some sewing supplies in my wardrobe in order to more easily access my scarves, I've realized I don't really know where I'm going to fit my sewing caboodle.
Let's not mention the old dance supplies/accessories I still need to stash somewhere (maybe I should just sell my old KD Dids knock-off bodywarmer?). There are some other things that could go to make space, and while I would like to make some money selling them, the hassle of finding a buyer means so far the stuff hasn't moved.
One of the few blogs I found that had suggestions for sewing in a shared space mentioned being grateful for the little space available, and I've been trying to focus on the positive and be grateful for what I have instead of complaining about the problems.
But it's hard to accept "Let's just leave the chaos" when you set out to put things in order.
1 comment:
I end up chucking things out, or just giving them away. It feels really good to have space again, it frees the mind as well as physical areas. :)
Post a Comment