Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Questions I like to answer #1: What should I visit in the US?

I've complained about the questions I don't life getting, so I thought I would do a short series on questions I do like getting as a foreigner.

So for the first post: What should I visit in the US?

This question usually comes from people who are looking to plan their own trip, instead of purchasing a packaged bus tour. I systematically tell them they should rent a car and do a tour of the national parks in the California/Nevada/Arizona/Utah/Colorado/New Mexico area.

I might be a bit biased since I grew up in California, but I think the big national parks like Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Zion, Brice, Arches, Moab and Monument Valley (technically not a national park) are really great and fairly unique. San Francisco, New York, and Boston are great cities, but if you're going to spend money to visit museums and eat in restaurants, Europe has tons to offer. If you might only visit the US once, I think you should visit what you won't be able to find in Europe. The huge empty expanses of the American west are integral to the American identity and are nothing like what you'll find in Europe.

Occasionally someone will have plans to go to a place that I know well and will ask for some suggestions.

Boston: walk the Freedom Trail. It takes you past all the big sites and is fun. The Fine Arts Museum is very nice, but really expensive. Check out the shops on Newbury street. Salem is not too far away and can be a good day trip.

Florida: the waters on the Gulf side tend to be calmer, with finer sand (Siesta Key has some of the finest sand I've ever seen). The Keys are great for snorkeling, and visiting the Everglades in an airboat to see some alligators is fun.

Los Angeles: the Getty museum is a must, La Brea tar pits unique and usually unknown to Europeans, and Venice Beach. If you want to see the Hollywood walk of fame and Grauman's Chinese Theatre, park in the mall parking structure and getting your parking validated by buying something for $2. You can see the Hollywood sign from the mall, but if you want closer pictures you should head up to Griffith Observatory.

San Diego: the La Jolla cove is an absolute must. The walk along the cliffs is beautiful, and La Jolla is nice and posh too. Visiting Balboa park is nice too. Coronado is really nice, especially to end the day since you have a nice view of downtown from across the bay. If I had to recommend two restaurants in San Diego they would be Peohe's in Coronado and George's by the Cove in La Jolla.

So props to the people who ask me "Oh, you're American? We want to visit Florida/California/Boston. What would you recommend we see?"


No comments: