Monday, November 4, 2013

The impact of legislation on French cultural productions

^^ If I was ever going to do a doctoral thesis, that would be the subject.

Mondays I drive across town to tutor, and I usually listen to a mix of Virgin Radio, Toulouse FM, and Radio NEO to find some music to accompany my drive.

One of the things I've noticed in my years in France is that there are more and more "version françaises" of big music hits. One of the first times I really noticed it was when I saw this music video of a French rapper with James Blunt:



Now driving across town each week, there are constantly new songs with various mixes of English and French; sometimes the refrains are in French and the chorus in English, sometimes the opposite.

While this certainty is probably seen as cooler to teenagers, there's a bigger reason why there are more and more songs like this: they count for the CSA radio quotas.

If you didn't know it, French radio and TV have to air a minimum amount of French content during prime listening hours. The idea behind the laws voted back in 1994 was that if French radio stations had to play music by French artists, the artists would get a boost from increased radio time. TV stations have similar rules about airing a minimum amount of original content, French or European produced, etc etc. Again the idea is to support original French television content, and prevent stations from just airing dubbed versions of American or British shows they buy. Radio stations and TV stations that don't comply can be fined or have their feed cut for a short time.

If you want to get an idea of how many artists now do a "VF", check out this list of songs that qualify as 'new French productions' by the CSA. There are quite a few with titles in English or (VF) tagged onto the title. I find this new trend rather interesting, because it's a relatively new strategy of the music industry.

One of the big counter arguments against the criteria for identifying qualifying music for the quotas was that Daft Punk did not qualify because they never sing in French. To my knowledge they have never done a VF of any of their songs, but then again they don't really need to.

Interesting article about Daft Punk and the "exception culturelle"

I wanted to end my post with some more music videos featuring artists in English or French, but my search of YouTube ended with me watching a video of a cat in a chef costume trying to cook.

Here we go, this is one of the classic examples:


Another example:


I haven't looked into the issue that much or really analyzed the songs that are given a "version française" (the inconvenience of always hearing them while I'm driving: I can never write down the song!), but I see a parallel with the 60's when Eddy Mitchel and Johnny Hallyday sang mostly translations of American and British hits of the day. Back then they didn't have much choice because there were no composers or songwriters in France who could produce original songs to rival what was being written in the US and America. In some ways the French music industry has not evolved much because the majority of songs have a bit of French added to originally English language songs; the quota laws have not supported French music creation to such an extent that they are creating lots of new 100% French music.

Anyone have another song they like (or dislike) that's a mix of French and English? Anyone heard an artist speak about doing a French version of their song or otherwise collaborating with French artists?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love French music and I believe it deserves some air time but at the same time, I dislike the idea of quotas because it makes it sound like an obligation. Shouldn't be this way. I mean, "la scène française" has great artists!

I don't think culture should be legislated but it should be promoted better. Enough "donts", we need more "dos"!

Eileen said...

Very interesting post! I like this idea of "version française" because it's interesting to see French artists collaborate with English and American ones.

I've also noticed, though, some French artists integrating English into their songs, for example:
Noa Moon - Paradise

I have to say I am more and more behind the quota law, because otherwise there seems to be a lot of pressure on French artists to write and sing in English, and most of them are not good enough at it, and most French audiences don't understand what they're saying. At least among the amateur groups I've seen. But I also don't like, for example, artists like Skip the Use whose English feels unnatural.

I would like to see French artists encouraged to sing in French (or any native language) more. Surely English dominates enough in other domains?

I guess that's not what you were writing about---oops...

Canedolia said...

I remember being really confused a few years ago when I kept hearing this old Robbie Williams song on the radio with a verse in French. I honestly couldn't remember if the original had that or not - does anyone know?

I actually quite like the songs that have a mix of languages, probably because it's such an accurate reflection of my life! But we were talking the other day about how the way that the French language fits to music isn't the same as English because there's no word or syllable stress, so sometimes the translated versions don't sound so good.

I Say Oui said...

I like this French-English version of American singer Andy Grammer’s song “Keep Your Head Up”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0LxwOjffu8

When I hear duets like this, I wonder how the artists got together.


Anonymous said...

heureusement qu,il y a les quotas en France.Regardez l,Italie aucun quota ,résultat le cinéma Italien est mort (quand on pense aux immense réalisateur italien des années d,après guerre ).Je ne vous parle même pas de la télé italienne et dîtes moi ou sont passé les formidable chanson italienne que j,entendais quand j,étais jeune.Autrement il y a les pays scandinaves qui désormais font tous en langue anglaise,ce qui fait que l,on peut voir un film Norgévien sans savoir qu,il est norvégien.

L said...

@Anonymous
Je dis pas qu'il faut pas de quotas, juste qu'il n'ont pas eu l'effet désiré. Au lieu de promouvoir de la vrai création françaises, des maisons de disques organisent des versions françaises des tubes pour que les chansons collent avec la réglementation. Les chansons mi-anglais mi-français ne devriaent pas se qualifier pour les quotas. La France aurait du s'y prendre comme Quebec d'ailleurs; on aurait Poulet Frit Kentucky au lieu de KFC et Bureau au gros au lieu de Staples.