| Euros | Dollars | |
| Dad's birth certificate fee | 19.34 | |
| Postage to mail request | 1.78 | |
| Postage to resend request | 1.78 | |
| International Coupon Reponses (10) | 15.42 | |
| Mom's birth cerficate | 18.00 | |
| Postage to mail request | 1.75 | |
| Marriage certificate | 14.00 | |
| Postage to mail request | 1.75 | |
| FBI background check | 15.08 | |
| Postage to mail request | 0.89 | |
| Postage to resend request ? | ||
| Notarization fees | 80.71 | |
| Apostille | 8 | |
| Mailing costs for Apostille | 1.75 | |
| My birth certificate | 10.70 | |
| Translation fees | 125.00 | |
| Bus fare to pick up translations | 2.50 | |
| Timbre fiscaux | 55.00 | |
| Total: | 333.45€ | $40 |
In order of amount, the most expensive things were the translations of my parents' birth certificates and marriage certificate (mine is German and already multi-lingual so I saved about 30€ there), then the notarization fees at the Consular Post since I had to have the applications for California documents notarized, then the "tax" you pay to apply for naturalization.
For a lot of American document requests you're supposed to include a self-addressed stamped envelope. When you can't purchase the appropriate postage (American in this case), you're supposed to buy International Reply Coupons, which the other person can exchange at the local post office for the appropriate postage. Every time I sent an IRC, they came back to me. For the California documents they just put them back in the envelope and mailed them back to me, paying the postage themselves. But I was really surprised to see that for my Apostille the State Department stapled the IRC on the outside of the envelope and mailed it like that! The postal service didn't stamp or otherwise mark the coupon, so I just took it off when I got the envelope and I was able to use it again.
As a side note, I didn't use all 10 of my IRC for my naturalization documents, but I did use one this summer in Canada to send a letter. Mine are only valid until the end of 2013 so I think I'll use the remaining ones to send cards/letters abroad.While I was not thrilled to pay so much (and go through the hassle) for translations, notarizations, etc, I think the American naturalization fee is over $600, so I feel like this is not too bad.
I submitted my application August 12th and September 9th or 10th I got a letter saying I needed to make an appointment and come with my husband. When I called today I lucked out and was able to schedule an appointment this coming Monday, so my interview will be just a month after submitting my application. I don't expect any answer until April or May (8-9 months), but maybe having my interview quickly will speed things up by 3 or 4 weeks. The woman at the Préfecture was surprised that the only thing listed on my 'convocation' was a piece of ID; apparently my application is complete and they don't have very many like that.
To be continued next week....
5 comments:
Yep, immigration and all things related is expensive. I think I paid about $1,500 for my permanent residence status in Canada, and probably around another $500 for citizenship, in total. It's not that bad but for the broke student I was, it was a lot of money!
Hey! Very interesting post because I am about to start all of this, though I'm dragging my feet especially about the French test. One question if you have time---what did you do about the fingerprints for the FBI background check? Did you do your own?
Hello
Thanks for posting this. I'll prob get round to doing this soonish. is there a french test like eileen said? sorry if you've already talked about this!
Emmy
@Eileen, I did a post about the FBI background check process here: http://toutesdirectionspourlafrance.blogspot.fr/2013/08/naturalisation-continued-fbi-background.html
Upshot was I did my own prints using the special ink at a Gendarmerie.
@Emmy, you do you have to provide proof of having at least B1 level (low conversational) http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F11926.xhtml
I did a Masters degree at the University here in Toulouse, so I provided that. You don't have to actually take a French test, just prove that you have finished studies in French.
It's looking like I will end up spending a similar amount once all is said and done for all the birth certificates, apostilles, translations, application fees, etc. I'll have to total it all up once everything is paid for and I've submitted my application!
Post a Comment