Mondays I drive across town to tutor two siblings, and since it's a good half hour each way I get my fill of the latest music releases listening to the radio.
When Virgin and Toulouse FM are playing ads or club music I don't like (or the same song for the third time in my drive) I sometimes switch over to Neo Radio.
Neo is an indie radio station broadcasting in Paris, Toulouse and Bourges, and their slogan is "Liberateur de talents".
Often times it's really obscure music, and even an indie fan like myself can only last so long. But today I happened across a really neat song: CQFD by BATpointG. (Listen here if you have a Deezer account)
There isn't a good clip on YouTube yet I could embed in my post, so please go take a listen to the song. The only thing I could find on YouTube was an acoustic version which really doesn't do the song justice.
The lyrics are almost entirely abbreviations:
PIB
FMI
CAC40
HEC
DRH
PDG
...
Listening to the song took me back over the years of learning what all those abbreviations meant, and the different circumstances I was in.
Even the title makes me think of the first months my husband and I were together and I first heard the abbreviation. If you've spent enough time around French people,
you've probably had someone tell you at some point "CQFD!" which stands
for "ce qu'il fallait démontrer". A rough translation could be "and
that's my point" or "which is what I said in the first place".
BATpointG seems to follow in the footsteps of groups like Les Ogres de Barback. There are a lot of plays on words (that B gets big kick out of explaining to me) and some of the lyrics go by really fast.
Anyway, have a listen to CQFD and see how many abbreviations you know!
No comments:
Post a Comment