Friday, August 17, 2012

Coffee capsules

This past week B and I were at his parents' in the Gard, and on the 15th we went to Uzès and then a small village nearby for a "marché nocturne".

The market had a mix of wine, cheese, jewelry, hand made children's clothes, and other things, and one of the stands was L'Atelier du Café. This company uses a coffee roaster from 1905 that runs on coal and sells a variety of different kinds of coffee.

They also were selling Capsul-in, which are empty capsules to fill with whatever ground coffee you like and then to use in your Nespresso machines.

Now, I definitely think the Nespresso coffee is good and the single serve capsules are really handy, but it makes a cup of coffee really expensive! If you multiply out the price of the capsules to find the price of the coffee per kilo, it's around €69. A whole lot more than Grand mère coffee at the grocery store.

I hate the thought of dumping all those aluminum capsules in the trash as well, so I would save up a bag and then take them back to the Nespresso store here in Toulouse to recycle them.

Between the price and having to make an errand to recycle my coffee capsules, I decided to take a break and started using the regular filter coffee maker I was handed down from B's grand parents.

But it is a bit of a pain that it's hard to make just 1 cup of coffee with this kind of machine. There are more grains that come through, so you have to put in a bit extra coffee and more water so that there's space for the grains to settle at the bottom of the pot.

Enter Capsul-in: use whatever coffee you want with your Nespresso machine, and save money while you're at it! A pack of 100 capsules is sold for €10. They are made in France but distributed/sold by a company based in Luxembourg.

Here's the video they made showing how you can fill the capsules easily and quickly (note the plastic holder snapped on to the capsule doesn't come in the regular pack):



To find out where you can buy the Capsul-in near you, you have to fill out a quick form on the website and the company will get back to you. I don't think they've been selling them too long and don't have a huge list of distributors.

Anyone else seen a similar product or a better price?

No comments: