B and I are going to the States and Canada this summer.
Unfortunately it was a whole lot easier said than done!
The back story: my mom's family in Canada is organizing a big family reunion. B and I wanted to go and I was going to have the time off from the University, so we started looking at tickets.
And then we came back to Earth. Over a 1000€ per person! We can fly to San Diego in November for 600€ per person; summer flights are so over priced!
But my mom changed jobs with a pay raise and my parents offered to pay for the flights with some money they had put aside to help us travel to Asia since we haven't seen the family in Canada for a long time.
You could say that the easiest solution would have been for my parents to purchase the tickets for us, but that's neither here nor there. And Skype chats with screen sharing so I can help my parents do something make me want to pull my hair out.
First, my mom looked into how she could send me the money. We had previously used PayPal to send money internationally, so she logged into PayPal to see if she could add the credit union the money was in to her PayPal account. My mom wasn't able to do this, but I think it was more a "User error" (i.e. mistakes by my mom) than PayPal. She transferred the funds to a different bank account which was already connected to PayPal.
When she went to set up the payment of $5,000, she got a message that there would be $198 in fees. We wanted to use PayPal because the fees are low or inexistant, so I helped my mom figure out that she had her credit card selected as the source of the funds and not her checking account. Because of the large sum, PayPal automatically put a hold on the transfer, even though it was coming directly out of a checking account and there was about a 2 day delay before the funds were released. We did some experimenting on putting in amounts to see what the fees would be, and for $2,500 there were $12 in fees, but only $5 for sending $5,000, so my mom sent it all at once.
When I logged into PayPal to accept the transfer, I discovered that receiving such a large sum automatically blocked my account. I had to scan a photo ID and proof of address and send it to PayPal to prove my identity in accordance with European anti money-laundering laws. The procedure was actually well explained on the PayPal site and it was really easy to upload my photo ID and proof of address. It took 2 days I think for my account to be unblocked, at which point I could accept the payment (I chose to accept it in euros, so I received 3,883€. This is slightly less than the published exchange rate, but it's not bad). On the third day PayPal said the payment had been made, but it didn't show up in my bank account until the following day. From the time my mom clicked send to when I had the money in my account it took 4 days.
The story doesn't quite end there either. Once the money was in my account, B and I tried to buy our tickets. Each time the 2,800€ tickets were refused when we clicked on the purchase button. I called the contact number for the website, and the woman correctly suggested that it was probably a limit on my carte bleue (2,500€ in the past 30 days).
That being a Sunday, I had to wait to call my bank on Monday. The branch my account is managed by is closed on Mondays and open on Saturday mornings, so I could only have the central call center send a message to my conseillère. Tuesday I got a call about my request to increase the maximum amount I could spend with my card in 30 days. Of course the increase would only take affect 24 hours later. While I was on the phone, my conseillère said that she was required to ask about the origins of PayPal payments over 2,000€ (not 100% sure on the money amount). I didn't want her to start saying she was going to declare the transfer as foreign income to be taxed, etc etc, so I said the money was a reimbursement from my family. She didn't ask any more questions and seemed fine with my explanation, so I left it at that. When I had my "solde de tout comptes" for a previous job that was over 3,000€ in one check, my bank also called me to ask what it was for, so I think it had more to do with the fact that I'm not a high roller and rarely have large deposits like that, as opposed to real suspicion because I got money from PayPal. Since I had converted the money to euros within PayPal, the transfer appeared to be coming from Europe/France for my bank (but I swear I'm not laundering money!).
Today I could finally buy my plane tickets: I'm taking B to Canada, San Francisco, and Florida for the first time (in addition to San Diego to see my parents).
What did I learn from all this?
- Even though technology and the internet make it generally faster and easier to send money internationally, there are still delays and problems and you should always allow for those.
- There's a new company and that offers direct flights from San Diego to Calgary, which I think is pretty awesome.
11 comments:
This is mind-boggling how many steps you had to take in order to buy plane tickets with someone else's money! I'm glad the persistence paid off.
I did it a different way, my dad offered to help with our tickets this summer too. I bought them on my card (gold card, higher limits + travel insurance! Check it out). And he will give me the dollars when we get there since we'll need dollars anyway while we're there.
My dad offered me a trip to Asia. He didn't want to pay fee for a bank transfer from Canada to France, so he wrote me a cheque in Canadian dollar with a Canadian cheque and I cashed it at la Banque postale. It took 3 weeks and la Poste took 19 euros of fees.
Some years ago I booked online at a travel agency for an transAtlantic ticket.
The next day the agency called me to say my bank had turned down the payment on my debit card.
I 'phoned the bank.
Oh, it's an abnormal sum for you....it's for your own protection....
Fine. Why not 'phone me and ask me about it?
We don't do that.
I used a different bank account.
The year after I noted a purchase on my card for a similar amount...the problem being that I hadn't made it.
I called and was asked why I hadn't reported the theft of my card to the gendarmerie.
Because it isn't stolen. It hasn't left my possession.
It took them over six months to refund me and no explanation was ever forthcoming.
If that's how Credit Agricole mess up with a simple current account no wonder they are up to their eyeballs in problems with their exposure to international debt...
This is very good to know! My parents will be doing something similar soon, so I'll be sure to watch out for the limits. And I didn't realize you could screen share on skype! Though not sure it would have made our last conversation trying to book them a hotel any easier, lol.
@MilkJam, your solution could have worked for us, except we really didn't have the money in our account to start with to buy the tickets. And I know gold cards give you more options, but I hate the idea of paying more than the 36€ I already pay per year for my card since I don't need many of the extra services the gold card would have (or only very rarely).
@the fly in the web, our bank sends a security code by SMS for certain purchases you make online, so someone who has stolen your card number can't confirm the purchase, but it also lets me confirm that I do really want to make the purchase. I had my card number stolen/guessed two years ago and the bank was pretty quick about it; I think there's been so much increased internet fraud that they've been forced to get better.
@Andromeda, the Skype screen share is super handy when you want to guide someone through something. You can say "Move your mouse up to the right, yeah, right there, click on that" and it can save so much time compared to someone describing what they see on the screen!
I use XE Trade to transfer USD to AUD and it works great. No fees and the exchange rate is better than Paypal. Plus it goes directly from bank account to bank account so it takes much less time.
My gold card costs 115€ a year including all the travel & Heath insurance while abroad. But every time I use my card I get 0.10€ off next years fee, this year I got 40€ off. Given that I travel at least once a year & the card covers both V & I it makes it totally worth it.
Where do your parents live in SD? My in-laws live in North Park and we were lucky to get a house on the South / North Park border while we lived there.
Where do your parents live in SD? My in-laws live in North Park and we were lucky to get a house on the South / North Park border while we lived there.
Chickster, my parents live in North County, about 25mi/30 minutes north of downtown SD.
Post a Comment