Tuesday, October 18, 2011

La Fontaine I can read

Way back in May when we went to Brussels, we went to the Comic book museum.

One section of the museum had a variety of albums available for reading. I read a comic book version of the bible (well, the first volume; consider it a 'streamlined' version of the full text) and browsed a few more, and then I saw what almost looked like fairy tales:

La Fontaine aux fables is an album with a really neat concept: different illustrators create a comic strip out of different fables as written by La Fontaine. The book is published in 3 volumes, and also in a complete edition with all 36 illustrated fables.

We bought the complete edition there at the Comic book museum gift store, and I have to say it was the first time I actually enjoyed reading La Fontaine. Each fable has a completely different artistic style, so it's fun to go from a very cartoon style, to water colors to ink only. My husband was shocked to learn I didn't really know the fables, but in school we read Aesop's versions and I was never assigned La Fontaine as reading in any of my French classes. The album doesn't have all of the fables (there are a ton), but since the vocabulary and syntax can be unusual I like have the illustrations to make sure I'm getting the fable right! I highly recommend La Fontaine aux fables for your book collection if you like comics or want a fun way to read some classic French texts.

No comments: